Raine Logo
Raine Logo Mirror

Downloads

Games

Docs

Forum

Zzap! Raine

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24 2014, 05:07 pm
+  Raine Forum
|-+  Raine
| |-+  Raine News Board (Moderators: Tux, Zaxxon1)
| | |-+  Raine 0.60.0 and neoraine 1.4.0 : welcome to the opengl world !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Raine 0.60.0 and neoraine 1.4.0 : welcome to the opengl world !  (Read 3064 times)
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

Raine 0.60.0 and neoraine 1.4.0 : welcome to the opengl world !
« on: Jan 10 2013, 02:42 pm »

Wow !
I have been thinking for years about an opengl driver for raine, but I never had enough time/motivation to learn opengl and I sometimes still hope that someone else would write this stuff... which never happens of course !
Anyway, it's finally done ! It's amazingly small actually, it's the easiest approach : 2d in opengl, but opengl is very good for that too. Thanks go to the author of the "opengl superbible 4th edition", a very well written book where I got all I needed for this...
Actually from version 1.0 opengl has supported all this stuff, so it should work on any machine with an opengl driver, I even tested this on an old 2007 laptop with an intel 945 graphics card inside and it worked fine. It's fast enough, on my main pc I reach around 1200-1400 fps for bublbobl fullscreen (1680x1050) ! The fun part is that this driver could be much faster, most of the functions used by raine like sprites with transparency, zooming, rotation and even the weird stencil buffer used for the priorities of a few games can all be done with hardware accelerated opengl functions, but it would take much more time so it won't be for this time.

Windows gets a new default rendering driver for this (windib), you can find more info about that here, but most people should probably keep the default setting. For those who were using normal blits before this version you'll have to go to the video options to choose opengl instead. You'll see the video options dialog has changed quite a bit... There are some minor changes like an optional opengl overlay interface which is enabled by default, but all the changes are around opengl this time. It's a change big enough to motivate such a change in the version numbers though !
The gui could be improved to render in opengl too, but it will be for another time too, it would take too much time for now.
It might become handy for the consoles which render only in opengl too one day...

Allright, enough talk, go grab this one from the downloads area and leave a message in the forum!

Ah also for once I took the time to update the linux packages, so all the binaries are up to date now.
« Last Edit: Jan 10 2013, 03:00 pm by Tux »
mer-curious

Re: Raine 0.60.0 and neoraine 1.4.0 : welcome to the opengl world !
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14 2013, 01:49 am »

Hi, Tux.

Here comes a very fast bug report:

1) With SDL default + OpenGL, NeoRaine won't show any picture at all from the game after loading it in window mode (default size: 640x480). When I go to fullscreen (Ctrl + Enter), the picture shows but the messages are all upside down.

2) Either in window and fullscreen modes (with OpenGL), if you press reset key (F1), the colors will be mixed up, like:

Note that the picture also shrinks in fullscreen mode.

3) When pressing ESC to come to or leave the GUI in fullscreen mode (still with OpenGL), NeoRaine will briefly show the Windows desktop prior to showing the game picture.

4) Crash: run NeoRaine, go to the video options and select SDL default + YUV overlays, leave the video options and try to load a game. NeoRaine will show a message like "no hardware support for YUV overlays" and crash.

5) The same behavior found above with SDL default, from 1 to 4, also applies to windb + OpenGL and DirectX + OpenGL.

6) When using SDL default + normal blits in window mode (default size: 640x480), the borders will have rests of the GUI which were not cleaned after leaving it.

Example:

Thanks for taking the time to check these issues.
« Last Edit: Jan 14 2013, 01:53 am by mer-curious »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14 2013, 08:49 am »

Hi, Tux.

Here comes a very fast bug report:

1) With SDL default + OpenGL, NeoRaine won't show any picture at all from the game after loading it in window mode (default size: 640x480). When I go to fullscreen (Ctrl + Enter), the picture shows but the messages are all upside down.

A few thoughts : how could I have no report in a few days with you having such a thing ? After testing there is a 1 pixel alignment error for the picture in windowed mode. Now with a decent opengl driver, you just can't notice it. With some broken stuff you can get a black screen. Actually I was able to get one on my old intel video card by slowly resizing the picture until finally getting a black screen (except the text of the overlay which still shows).
At this point 2 questions arise : which kind of hardware are you using, and did you upgrade your video drivers recently ?

Actually my 1st reaction was to either give up entierly windows builds (but I was able to reproduce this in linux with the intel video card, with some trouble I must say), or to limit the downloads to identified users only to be sure to get some feed back (but now I had heard that some people had some very broken opengl setups, so I guess it can't be avoided, having a lot of report about that wouldn't be very helpful).

Let's assume this part of the report is fixed, the 2nd part (text upside down) makes absolutely no sense at all. Actually the 0,0 point is in the lower left corner of the screen so everything must be reversed in opengl and it was a little tricky for the text. The only thing I can say here is that your driver must be very badly broken to render text upside down in this cas.
Could you try after setting in "video options / renderer options / opengl overlay interface" to no ? Well the text can't be rendered upside down in this case since it will be merged in the picture !

2) Either in window and fullscreen modes (with OpenGL), if you press reset key (F1), the colors will be mixed up, like:

Note that the picture also shrinks in fullscreen mode.

The last part of the report "the picture shrinks" shows your opengl just gives up, there is an error in setting the video mode and it just gives up so raine falls back to blit mode, but the picture gets screwed because the r,g,b values are swapped.
Well all I can say is that this shouldn't happen. If I can't reproduce it, I can't fix it. I'll try it in windows to be sure.

3) When pressing ESC to come to or leave the GUI in fullscreen mode (still with OpenGL), NeoRaine will briefly show the Windows desktop prior to showing the game picture.

This is related to the windows video driver, it does this here too, I can't do anything about it (it's because the gui is rendered in a non opengl mode, so it has to switch video modes everytime you come into or leave the gui).
Now normally you shouldn't see anything while this video mode is changed.
For info even in linux my screen resyncs (it goes to black for 1 or 2s) when I do that.
The only way to fix it for now is to have the gui to render in opengl, but it will take time.

4) Crash: run NeoRaine, go to the video options and select SDL default + YUV overlays, leave the video options and try to load a game. NeoRaine will show a message like "no hardware support for YUV overlays" and crash.

I'll test it in windows, but it's unlikely I can reproduce this...
EDIT : after testing my old intel card in windows (everything works with the nvidia), the only bug I could reproduce is the black screen in windowed mode, and this one is fixed.
All the others are specific to you and your installation.
Please try to update your drivers, and I swear that if it takes you 3 months to come back again, I'll just ignore your posts from now on !

« Last Edit: Jan 14 2013, 09:14 am by Tux »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14 2013, 09:20 am »

6) When using SDL default + normal blits in window mode (default size: 640x480), the borders will have rests of the GUI which were not cleaned after leaving it.

Example:

Thanks for taking the time to check these issues.

Ok this one was my fault too, an optimization because I didn't remember why the screen had to be updated after being cleared. Now I know, specific to normal blits !
mer-curious

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15 2013, 08:11 pm »

A few thoughts : how could I have no report in a few days with you having such a thing ? After testing there is a 1 pixel alignment error for the picture in windowed mode. Now with a decent opengl driver, you just can't notice it. With some broken stuff you can get a black screen.
I guess you were right here. The tests I made with version 1.4.0 were on my laptop. I've just tried it on my desktop and I didn't got the blackscreen in window mode nor the upside down texts.

Quote from: Tux
At this point 2 questions arise : which kind of hardware are you using, and did you upgrade your video drivers recently ?
My laptop is an AMD Athlon TF-20 1.60ghz and the video is an ATI Radeon HD 3200. Driver packaging version is 8.xxxx.xxx. The Catalyst Control Center is from 2009, and if it might help, the OpenGL Version is 6.14.10.8794.

There's an updated (from July 2012) driver available. I should download it by the next weeks. I just didn't update before because I don't use the laptop for heavy softwares or emulators, nor was I experiencing any problems concerning the graphics. So I didn't feel the need for updating, because updated drivers sometimes break or slowdown things and they generally don't improve old hardware like the HD 3200 series.

Could you try after setting in "video options / renderer options / opengl overlay interface" to no ? Well the text can't be rendered upside down in this case since it will be merged in the picture !
This fixed the "upside down texts" problem on my laptop.

The last part of the report "the picture shrinks" shows your opengl just gives up, there is an error in setting the video mode and it just gives up so raine falls back to blit mode, but the picture gets screwed because the r,g,b values are swapped.
Well all I can say is that this shouldn't happen. If I can't reproduce it, I can't fix it. I'll try it in windows to be sure.
This problem (colors mixed and picture shrank after reset) persisted on my desktop computer. It is an E8400 at 3.0ghz and the video card is a GeForce 8800GTS. The driver version is 275.33. Of course there's updated drivers, but they will be very hardly improving this old video card, won't they?

The only way to fix it for now is to have the gui to render in opengl, but it will take time.
Ok, no problem.

I'll test it in windows, but it's unlikely I can reproduce this...
I was also able to reproduce this crash on my desktop. Will it really be related to the video drivers?

EDIT : after testing my old intel card in windows (everything works with the nvidia), the only bug I could reproduce is the black screen in windowed mode, and this one is fixed.
All the others are specific to you and your installation.
Yeah, it can be. I just didn't expect that once all the bugs I have ever reported in the forum were related to the emulator programming itself, not to the user's PC specifications.

Ok this one was my fault too, an optimization because I didn't remember why the screen had to be updated after being cleared. Now I know, specific to normal blits !
Thanks.

Please try to update your drivers, and I swear that if it takes you 3 months to come back again, I'll just ignore your posts from now on !
No problem. It's just that sometimes the bugs I report are hard to find the right way to be triggered, and as I'm generally the only one interested in solving them, the issues are left opened until one (I) find(s) time to try them. But be sure that I don't expect to take your time by the next hours, days or even weeks after my reports. I just post them in order to have them registered so that you know on what you can work on whenever you have the time and desire to dedicate to the project.

PS:
about the 32bpp issue from the other thread, I'm not seeing Windows disabling Aero effects when using the OpenGL option in NeoRaine, even if it says 16bpp.
« Last Edit: Jan 15 2013, 08:14 pm by mer-curious »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15 2013, 08:46 pm »

Well on your side try to update the drivers on both machines. I know ati is famous for its bugs, even in windows, 2009 is very old, so it can only improve. For nvidia maybe you won't gain speed, but maybe you'll fix this crash related to overlays (I tried to reproduce it again on the laptop in windows, and failed, windowed an fullscreen both work fine).

My laptop is an AMD Athlon TF-20 1.60ghz and the video is an ATI Radeon HD 3200. Driver packaging version is 8.xxxx.xxx. The Catalyst Control Center is from 2009, and if it might help, the OpenGL Version is 6.14.10.8794.

The opengl standard is currently at version 4, nvidia's driver tells version 4.20. I think the version given by raine/neoraine when going to video info with the opengl renderer selected gives the right opengl version supported.

There's an updated (from July 2012) driver available. I should download it by the next weeks. I just didn't update before because I don't use the laptop for heavy softwares or emulators, nor was I experiencing any problems concerning the graphics. So I didn't feel the need for updating, because updated drivers sometimes break or slowdown things and they generally don't improve old hardware like the HD 3200 series.

Yeah I didn't expect any problem from an ati, even if 2009 is old, it was supposed to be supported by everything. An old intel video card is crap enough for my tests, if it works there, it should work everywhere.
I must confess that the black screen is from the default 640x480 windowed mode in windows on this card. I just forgot to test it again (well I test in linux first, then in windows on the main pc, then eventually on linux on the laptop and that's all usually !).
Anyway the upside down text is really more than weird, it's the most basic rendering imaginable, it shouldn't have any problem.

This problem (colors mixed and picture shrank after reset) persisted on my desktop computer. It is an E8400 at 3.0ghz and the video card is a GeForce 8800GTS. The driver version is 275.33. Of course there's updated drivers, but they will be very hardly improving this old video card, won't they?

Well it should happen with any game just by pressing f1, either in windowed or fullscreen right ? in this case I was unable to reproduce it anywhere, at least not with the default sdl driver (I am not testing opengl with the sdl directx driver, too many problems).

I was also able to reproduce this crash on my desktop. Will it really be related to the video drivers?

Which windows version again ? win7 I guess ?
And it was just by switching to overlays from opengl ? Here again no luck here so far, I'll try again... !

Yeah, it can be. I just didn't expect that once all the bugs I have ever reported in the forum were related to the emulator programming itself, not to the user's PC specifications.

Anyway it's bad news. I knew there were some broken opengl setups, I have some violent crash on my laptop in linux if I simply put a window over another window which renders some opengl stuff, just crazy. But here it's just really basic, no shader yet, I really didn't expect any trouble here.
And most of the time writing this version was because of the bugs in windows. Maybe it's more precisely sdl in windows, but sometimes I really wonder if it's worth the pain... In linux it just works (and it's said the latest 310 nvidia driver gives a 75% speed increase in linux - not in windows, didn't test it yet !).

No problem. It's just that sometimes the bugs I report are hard to find the right way to be triggered, and as I'm generally the only one interested in solving them, the issues are left opened until one (I) find(s) time to try them. But be sure that I don't expect to take your time by the next hours, days or even weeks after my reports. I just post them in order to have them registered so that you know on what you can work on whenever you have the time and desire to dedicate to the project.

Yeah maybe we should use a bug tracker for that. They have some on github, or we could maybe install one on this website. Or keep the "bazar way" as it is now !

PS:[/b] about the 32bpp issue from the other thread, I'm not seeing Windows disabling Aero effects when using the OpenGL option in NeoRaine, even if it says 16bpp.

Well in opengl the screen is rendered in 32bpp, but the internal game bitmap is rendered in 16bpp, that's the 1st time I am doing something like that. It's because the color conversion is made by the hardware so it takes no time, and since it's 16bpp internal, the transfers are faster. And since lots of opengl effects prefer 32bpp, I leave the screen itself in 32bpp.

While I think about it : maybe try to disable aero in vista. For win7 the default is to use aero and it's hard to disable and I never had any problem with it anyway. Just tested neoraine with aero fighters2 in win7 to be sure, couldn't reproduce any of your problems but it's working really well !  ;D Maybe it's slower than in linux though, but anyway... !
« Last Edit: Jan 15 2013, 10:03 pm by Tux »
mer-curious

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16 2013, 09:30 pm »

The opengl standard is currently at version 4, nvidia's driver tells version 4.20. I think the version given by raine/neoraine when going to video info with the opengl renderer selected gives the right opengl version supported.
NeoRaine shows that the OpenGL version from my desktop is 3.3.0, and the one from my laptop is 2.1.8794 (ouch!). I haven't updated yet because of the slow connection I'm using. But I should do it by the beginning of the coming week (I'm gonna be busy this weekend).

As soon as I update the drivers I'll report if the "crash" and the "mixed colors/shrank picture after reset" issues are gone.

Thanks for the assistance on the video drivers updating.

Well it should happen with any game just by pressing f1, either in windowed or fullscreen right ? in this case I was unable to reproduce it anywhere, at least not with the default sdl driver (I am not testing opengl with the sdl directx driver, too many problems).
This was a very good observation. For me, the bug is only showing with games like KOF '97, '98 and '99. With Samurai Spirits 1 and 2 it doesn't show.

I'm using SDL default + OpenGL for the tests. And I have loading animations set to 4x.

Which windows version again ? win7 I guess ?
And it was just by switching to overlays from opengl ? Here again no luck here so far, I'll try again... !
Yes, Win 7.

The steps I take are: run NeoRaine, navigate to the Video Options with either mouse or keyboard, change the video renderer from OpenGL to YUV overlays, back to main menu, and then load a game. NeoRaine will show me that message and after clicking "Ok" it just vanishes.

For win7 the default is to use aero and it's hard to disable and I never had any problem with it anyway.
Me neither. The only nuisance was that with NeoRaine emulator, in which it would sometimes disable Aero effects when coming from fullscreen mode. But this is not happening when using OpenGL. So maybe it was really something to do with the color bit depth after all?

Now we just need some filters for OpenGL, like HQ2x.

Thank you for your time once again.
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17 2013, 12:16 am »

Thanks for the assistance on the video drivers updating.

Be careful, the video drivers are now really big, more than 100 Mb for the nvidia one in windows if I remember correctly, so it's not easy with a really slow connection !

This was a very good observation. For me, the bug is only showing with games like KOF '97, '98 and '99. With Samurai Spirits 1 and 2 it doesn't show.

I'm using SDL default + OpenGL for the tests. And I have loading animations set to 4x.

Hehe, well here I just deleted most of my neocd games by mistake. I wanted to update the backup and I deleted it instead. I should have a dvd somewhere, but I don't know where it has gone for now, so I guess I'll have to pick a few ones from the internet.
I have a few ones left, but these 3 are not among them !
Oh well I'll see that tomorrow too, getting tired now...

Yes, Win 7.

The steps I take are: run NeoRaine, navigate to the Video Options with either mouse or keyboard, change the video renderer from OpenGL to YUV overlays, back to main menu, and then load a game. NeoRaine will show me that message and after clicking "Ok" it just vanishes.

lol, you should have started by that. I always tested switch to overlays after having loaded a game. I tested this way with raine, but there are no loading animations in raine. With these steps I can reproduce it, but it's not a crash, the program just exits.
Ok well, it shouldn't exit ok, I'll fix it !
Anyway it's very easy to work around that !

For win7 the default is to use aero and it's hard to disable and I never had any problem with it anyway.
Me neither. The only nuisance was that with NeoRaine emulator, in which it would sometimes disable Aero effects when coming from fullscreen mode. But this is not happening when using OpenGL. So maybe it was really something to do with the color bit depth after all?

Now we just need some filters for OpenGL, like HQ2x.

Thank you for your time once again.

Yeah yeah, there are actually some experiments to do even better than hq2x, like openhq (search for it in the forum and follow the links) and xbr : http://filthypants.blogspot.fr/2012/03/xbr-vs-hqx-interpolation-filter.html.
There are also some shaders to reproduce scanlines...
But heh ! I am still new to opengl, this is a crash course here ! :)
« Last Edit: Jan 17 2013, 12:18 am by Tux »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17 2013, 07:12 pm »

Well all your bugs are now fixed :
 - return to normal blits when reseting kof97 : it was because this game has a title (a fixed bitmap which is loaded before the loading animation starts). This title is never seen usually but it has already caused quite a few bugs, this is the last one. Except that it was a stupid bug, the hardest part was to reproduce it !
 - the crash when in windows going from opengl to overlays with no game loaded and then only loading a game (in neoraine) : that was a real crash finally, because the message box was being used before any game was loaded, so I fixed this stuff and it's now safe to use.
 - I found another possible bug in raine while looking at the debug logs : when a game adds its own fields to a savegame, these fields are not reseted when the game is changed. It could possibly crash the emulator while making the savegame or while loading this savegame, but it has never happened so far ! Anyway it's fixed too now.

Well congratulations for finding them anyway. Oviously we really don't use the program the same way. That's the difficulty when a program grows big, there are too many ways to use it !
Anyway I'll keep it a while longer to see if I can add some new stuff in it...
mer-curious

« Reply #9 on: Jan 17 2013, 08:05 pm »

Thanks a lot for taking the time to check those issues.

Also thanks for the link to the new filters/shaders that seem to be better than HQ2x. They are very interesting and I should give them a try with the ePSXe emulator.

About the future release, would you mind setting the default minimum font size to 9 in order to prevent the "default game input" menu from getting a bit messed up?
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17 2013, 08:20 pm »

Well ok but usually you unzip new releases in the same directory, so the configuration file is preserved, and so you miss the new defaults !
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23 2013, 01:33 pm »

Just for info, the shaders are now working !
For now I have taken the very neat implementation of bsnes, you can have some details there :
http://gitorious.org/bsnes.

The big advantage is that a community has created a ton of shaders there, and documented the xml format used for the shaders, so it's very portable. So far you can't choose the shader from the gui, it has to be hard coded so it's not finished, but it's working well. I have tested their "5xBR Rounded.shader" and it does a pretty impressive job at smoothing the picture (tried it on bublbobl which has very visible pixels on its title screen).
And the bonus is that it's amazingly fast. I had heard that these things were efficient, but really it's big. It's a better equivalent of some asm code we have here, and the asm code was very hard to write. This thing is shorter and faster. Of course you need to have a good graphics card to take advantage of it, but nobody forces you to use shaders anyway !

I might post some screenshots later, I'll take a break outside for now !
mer-curious

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23 2013, 05:52 pm »

Thank you for keeping up the improvements.

I would appreciate some screenshots.

By the way, sometimes I wish I could activate the power gauge (button 1+2+3 together) on KOF games with just a single button. Is there a way to do that in NeoRaine (macros support), or am I supposed to use keyboard-to-controller softwares such as Joy-to-Key and XPadder?

And what does the "switch to custom game controls/revert to default game controls" option do?

Thanks for your time again.

PS: I haven't updated my drivers yet.
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23 2013, 06:20 pm »

Well I think you'd better update them now, because last time it was just basic stuff and you had problems. This time you can't consider shaders as basic stuff, even if in theory they are supported since opengl 2.
By the way when I try these on my old laptop (intel video card), the driver says it works, but on screen you don't see any effect, it's exactly like when not using shaders ! This was with the opengl shaders test programs from my book, didn't try yet with raine, but I expect the same result there.

Anyway you still have time, I didn't even start testing on windows yet ! (I really hope it will not be too horrible this time !)

The custom controls : when a game has some seriously strange inputs and you don't want to mess your default configuration because of it, of course in neocd all the games have the same inputs (even if some don't use all the available buttons). So if you use only neoraine you can probably forget about that.

Macros to emulate key presses, I think I vaguely remember something about that, not sure. Anyway if you have the possibility to do it at the driver level, don't hesitate !
There was at least the auto-fire, I don't think there was something to emulate multiple key presses at the same time, but it can be done by adding a cheat, but I guess it wouldn't be an ideal solution because you would still need a unique key to active the cheat... !

The screenshots, yes well they might be useful anyway, because for now it's not easy to choose a shader just by name, it's probably a good idea to put pictures somewhere. I'll think about it.
mer-curious

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24 2013, 12:43 am »

By the way when I try these on my old laptop (intel video card), the driver says it works, but on screen you don't see any effect, it's exactly like when not using shaders ! This was with the opengl shaders test programs from my book, didn't try yet with raine, but I expect the same result there.
This is exactly what I experienced when I tried to use some Cg shaders on the Snes9x emulator on an old computer I had with onboard ATI graphics.

But with this laptop and dektop I have now I can see the shaders working on the picture, as long as I've installed the Cg package from nVidia. It's curious that this nVidia package is only available in their "development" area, which requires registration for having access.

So, will I need to have this Cg package from nVidia installed and upgraded too in order to see the effects in NeoRaine?

Macros to emulate key presses, I think I vaguely remember something about that, not sure. Anyway if you have the possibility to do it at the driver level, don't hesitate !
There was at least the auto-fire, I don't think there was something to emulate multiple key presses at the same time, but it can be done by adding a cheat, but I guess it wouldn't be an ideal solution because you would still need a unique key to active the cheat... !
I was thinking about some options in the game inputs that combine buttons, like Button 1 + 2 (dodge in KOF games), Button 3 + 4 (body attack/knockdown blow), Button 2 + 3 (taunt in KOF '96 and older), Button 1 + 2 + 3 (charges and activates the power gauge) and finally Button 2 + 3 + 4 (only used in KOF '96 with Goro and Clark, and in '99 for activating the armor mode). So we would assign the key or button of our choice for these combinations. Well, I think they cover most of the NeoGeo games.

In FBA emulator, we have something similar in the inputs for CPS2 games (like Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter), which use super special moves by pressing either three punches or three kicks:

Of course, for both players.

Thanks a lot for your time once again.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines

Raine WIP

Hosting

Links

Credits

GIT