Raine Logo
Raine Logo Mirror

Downloads

Games

Docs

Forum

Zzap! Raine

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 20 2014, 03:34 pm
+  Raine Forum
|-+  Raine
| |-+  Raine News Board (Moderators: Tux, Zaxxon1)
| | |-+  Raine 0.61.0, and new neoraine...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raine 0.61.0, and new neoraine...  (Read 966 times)
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

Raine 0.61.0, and new neoraine...
« on: Jun 11 2013, 01:39 pm »

After 5 months, a new version. Oh well, I know it's completely "outside of time"...
this time the biggest part of the work started stupidly, I just found that a driver, lsystem.c (taito_l) was too big for what it was doing, and then I noticed it didn't even work with the new opengl driver. So I started to imagine new ways to write things, but then it obliged me to change a lot of things everywhere, and finally it was the biggest change ever made to the sources in 1 time !

There is a lot of things inside this time, but most of the work is for raine, to make some of the old drivers more usable. It's a shame these drivers didn't get more care in all these years, some of them were really starting to become unusable now, so it was a badly needed change. As always there is also a lot of fixes, shared by raine and neoraine, and some good changes to the console, even if I suspect I must be the only one using it ! ;-)

The big surprise was that a lot of drivers were broken since november 2010 in raine, and nobody found them in all that time (didn't report them anyway). Wall I guess that means it's not tested enough, it means either that most people always play the same games, or just download to collect it that's all. Oh well, I can't blame anyone on this, it's just some useful reality check...

You can find the big changelog here, I hope I made it readable at least, this time the git changelog alone would not have been readable enough !

No important change for the shaders yet, the multi-pass ones are still not supported.

EDIT : debian packages up to date. Notice that the amd64 package, now uses only partially the multiarch architecture, that means it uses libmuparser2 directly from the i386 repository, but not the sdl libs because you can't have both amd64 and i386 of these installed at the same time for now. Normally apt should fix things for you on your system, you can help it with "apt-get install libmuparser2:i386".
« Last Edit: Jun 11 2013, 05:44 pm by Tux »
mer-curious

Re: Raine 0.61.0, and new neoraine...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15 2013, 08:26 pm »

Hi, Tux. Thanks for this new update.

Here's my fast feedback for NeoRaine 1.4.2:

Audio tracks are not being played. My ISOs are the same as before.

I guess I've found a bug that was introduced in this version: run the emu -> load a game (I loaded KOF '99 tosec version) -> then come to the GUI and load another game (I loaded KOF '97) or it can be the same game. NeoRaine window should vanish after that.

Check these screenshots. It seems that NeoRaine is not correctly fitting the picture in the window. Also, in the stages the emulator is showing some extra picture in the upper area, which is quite interesting. When it is not possible to show this extra picture, the emu seems to copy rests of the image. Note: this only happens in OpenGL mode.

Take a look:

Screen is not fitted to the window, but extra picture is shown in the upper area. Pay attention to the coconut palm leaves and the sky in the background.

The same stage with normal blits. Pay attention to the coconut leaves and the sky in the background: no extra picture, but screen is fitted to the window.

Rests of the screen in the upper area.

By the way, when I maximize the window, the screen doesn't correctly fit the window either.

And finally, when I do a PrintScreen in fullscreen mode, I'm getting a weird screen like this. Also pay attention the screen preserves fitting problems in fullscreen mode.

My question is: would it be possible to have this extra picture shown in the stages but still correctly fitted to the window like with normal blits?

Furthermore, I played a turn in KOF '97 up to the boss and didn't see the sound distortion, but would have to check that some more times (an also with audio tracks enabled) in order to be sure whether the distortion was fixed.

Other than that, I hope you can consider for a future release a rearrangement of the input screen similar to the one we've discussed here and here.

And also the implementation of NeoGeo roms so that NeoRaine becomes a more complete MVS hardware based emulator. And of course, more shaders.

Thank you a lot for your work.
« Last Edit: Jun 15 2013, 08:30 pm by mer-curious »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15 2013, 09:38 pm »

Well sorry for the lack of testing for neoraine, the crash shouldn't have escaped me (it did because I mainly ran neocd demo games without audio tracks lately !). Anyway it's a stupid bug of course.
For the audio tracks not playing it's probably because they are in wav, since everything is fine for me. You know there is absolutely no reason to keep audio in wav for neocd, except wasting disk space, it's the ideal kind of audio to be converted to ogg or mp3.
For the alignment issue of the picture, I just noticed it ! (actually I remember seeing it in a neocd demo, but I thought it was because of the demo !). It's specific to the opengl driver, and to this version probably, I don't think it was in 0.61.0 (raine's number). The upper part of the picture which eppears is not supposed to appear, it's just the upper part of sprites. Here it's alright, but there can be anything in this area and sometimes it can be very distorted !

Oh well I need to download some neocd game with wav tracks to check your music issue, so I think you should have new binaries tomorrow (sunday), I guess I'll have to make a new raine binary too because of this alignment issue...

For the input screen : unlikely, I like it as it is now. For neogeo roms, maybe, but it's something huge, which would eat a lot of time, and it's probably not a good idea to start something like that in june (just before summer !).

EDIT : what is your "printscreen" thing ? You mean taking a screenshot using the windows way to take screenshots ? I can't do anything about that !

EDIT 2 : well the alignment issue is ONLY with the DrawPixels renderer, you won't get it with the texture opengl renderer, which is the default one, and the only one you can use if you want a shader (you should really try some, even those available now, it's hard to get back when you get used to it !).
For the audio tracks it was a bug specific to windows, I went to fast here and since it was never tested in windows it fails. Once again, it's lucky you are around here, those who downloaded it before you probably didn't play with it, or couldn't post anything to the forum !
Ok, so the bugs are fixed now, update tomorrow... !

By the way for neogeo roms, I don't promise anything, but there is a possibility I could try that in not too long. It still depends on quite a few unpredictable things though, so we'll see !
« Last Edit: Jun 16 2013, 12:57 am by Tux »
mer-curious

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16 2013, 03:10 am »

Thanks a lot for the amazingly fast fixes.

For the input screen : unlikely, I like it as it is now.
No problem. But it's good you're opened to consider about this someday.

Still on the input screen, what about that little nuisance I reported that happens due to a long name given by the joystick driver and when using a 640x480 window size?

The fixes that we discussed were either setting the minimum default font size to "8" (my suggestion) or disabling the display of the name of the joystick (your suggestion).

when setting minimum default font size to "8".

I think that very few emulators out there show the name of the joystick, so, concerning some "standard" here, it's perfectly fine to remove this feature of the emu if it's the best fix for this little nuisance.

Quote from: Tux
EDIT : what is your "printscreen" thing ? You mean taking a screenshot using the windows way to take screenshots ? I can't do anything about that !
Yes. I guess it was the very first time I made a screenshot with the PrintScreen key in fullscreen mode. Didn't expect it would be like that.

EDIT 2 : well the alignment issue is ONLY with the DrawPixels renderer, you won't get it with the texture opengl renderer, which is the default one, and the only one you can use if you want a shader (you should really try some, even those available now, it's hard to get back when you get used to it !).
Sorry, I should have tried using another renderer before reporting. But it wasn't supposed to happen even in that renderer, so thanks for fixing it.

By the way for neogeo roms, I don't promise anything, but there is a possibility I could try that in not too long. It still depends on quite a few unpredictable things though, so we'll see !
Thank you. Just make sure to only do it when you have the time and will for that.
« Last Edit: Jun 16 2013, 03:13 am by mer-curious »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16 2013, 08:46 am »

As you could see, you can already set the minimum font size to 8 from the gui.
That's just the default minimum font size when not chosen by the user which is still at 9.
But remember that in this time the default is to use 1920x1080 screens and not 640x480 ones !
Anyway I could :
 - replace "Player1" by "P1", but it would be less readable, particularly with the "P1 A+B+C"
 - remove the joystick names : it would be too bad !
 - change the default. Ok, but it will work only if the config is deleted and regenrated. Normally it never happens, when you uncompress a new raine or neoraine version there is no config file inside, so it keeps your old config file. I'll do that for your peace of mind, but it will be useless for almost everyone !
mer-curious

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16 2013, 06:12 pm »

But remember that in this time the default is to use 1920x1080 screens and not 640x480 ones !
Yeah, but default NeoRaine size is 640x480, so I thought it could work fine in that resolution too, without that kind of glitch, even if it's only in that very menu.

Anyway I could :
 - replace "Player1" by "P1", but it would be less readable, particularly with the "P1 A+B+C"
Actually this was a good idea. I don't think it would be less readable. I guess the menu would get even more fitted to a 640x480 size by combining "8" as minimum font size + "P1" namings.

Take a look:

Maybe if P1 and P2 namings are enabled, this would not happen anymore. You could make a test version and send me to test with my joystick if you want.

Also, you forgot to capitalize the "select" words and remove the space between "Player" and the numbers.

Now talking about the shaders, I remember you said you could add the option to turn off bilinear filtering when using the texture renderer, right? Was this already added? If not, could you do this for the next version? Hopefully I will enjoy more the shaders if bilinear is turned off, cause I don't really like its effect now (blurs the picture).

Finally, if we pause emulation ("P" key), visit the GUI and then leave it, NeoRaine automatically unpauses the emulation. Couldn't the pause state be preserved here? I felt the need for this when I was testing the shaders in the middle of a match, and whenever I leaved the GUI to see the effect of the chosen shader, I would be hit by the CPU because the emulation was suddenly unpaused.

I mean, if it's ever possible to apply new shader effects preserving the pause state. Because if it's not, it wouldn't make much difference in this case, right?

That's it for now.

Thank you again for your time.
« Last Edit: Jun 16 2013, 06:14 pm by mer-curious »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16 2013, 07:29 pm »

Hell in the details...
Ok, I deleted the space and capitalized select, it's committed, but I'll end it here.
I mean, it's usable even if not perfect in 640x480, and in my current setup I use windowed mode to about 1/4 the size of the screen and with this setting well there is too much space for this dialog, and it just looks perfect ! :)
So I'll keep "Player", and keep everything as it is now. And the default is 640x480 only because this resolution is sure to work everywhere, but the default is also to use windowed mode to be sure there won't be any fancy things when going fullscreen. It's the default, after that people change it to their setup...

By the way did you see what happens if you leave neoraine, unplug your joystick/pad, relaunch it and return to this dialog ?
If you really want to do some testing, install mingw32, read the docs about how to compile, and compile the sources ! Ok, neoraine is really hard to compile the 1st time with all its dependancies, but it would make things much more interesting !  ;D

For the pause while in the gui : nice idea ! It was not exactly trivial to do because the pause was coded in a special way (old code from 98 !), but it was worth doing it, and yes, you can change the shader while in the gui and return to see the effect while keeping the pause now.

About bilinear filtering : well the shaders can overwrite the setting anyway, but I can always add the option for those which don't. The idea was to add that while adding support for multi-pass shaders, but this part is trivial and the other one is not !

About the shaders in general : my first impression was like most I think, I found most of them were changing the picture too much to be really nice to use. And while testing, I forgot I had chosen the 5xbr-rounded one. So all my subsequent tests were with this shader enabled, and I didn't notice immediately because my attention was always on something else. But in fact I noticed the day I disabled it : the pixels I didn't notice before were now obvious ! So well I'd say that even though the multi-pass shaders should be even more interesting than the ones we already have, there is already some quite interesting stuff inside for now !
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

Raine WIP

Hosting

Links

Credits

GIT