Raine Logo
Raine Logo Mirror

Downloads

Games

Docs

Forum

Zzap! Raine

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 01 2014, 07:13 am
+  Raine Forum
|-+  Raine
| |-+  Raine News Board (Moderators: Tux, Zaxxon1)
| | |-+  Raine 0.62.1 : quick fix for romcheck
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Raine 0.62.1 : quick fix for romcheck  (Read 1377 times)
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

Raine 0.62.1 : quick fix for romcheck
« on: Jul 01 2013, 11:58 am »

A new binary to fix the -romcheck command line option, that's all there is in it.
I took the opportunity to switch to 7z, so the size of the archive is back to 2.3 Mb !
(I guess everyone knows it requires 7zip now, right ?)
Also the amd64 debian package disappears because the i386 one can finally be installed on an amd64 system too, so only 1 debian package to maintain now, and it switches to .xz compression too.
mer-curious

Re: Raine 0.62.1 : quick fix for romcheck
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02 2013, 04:16 am »

Hi, Tux.

A very quick feedback for Raine 0.62.1:

load animations are not working for NGCD games.

I have the impression that the intro movies are slightly slower when running NGCD games, which makes them slightly more synchronized with the CDDA playing. Is it only my impression or have you made any changes (perhaps progress) in here?

I tried KOF '97 for NeoGeo and the game is not playable. I receive a warning written in red from SNK in which I'm told that using pirated SNK boards is a crime and something like that:

The only way I can make the game playable is by setting the Universe Bios to console (AES) mode through the Universe Bios menu. Was it supposed to be like this? Is this related to the code being based on the NGCD hardware?

Also, if you visit the video options the colors will get all messed up when you return to the game:

Finally about the KOF '97 game, the BGM is not working (haven't tried other NG games so far).

I guess I've found a crash. Here's how to reproduce it: run Raine, load a NG game (in my case, I loaded KOF '97), then come to the GUI and load another game (I loaded KOF '96 here) and then enter this new game. Raine should crash here.

And one last thing: can't the option to load a game be named like "Load game" instead of "Change game"? I guess it could become "Change game" after a game was loaded, but not before that, right?

Thank you again for you time and attention.
« Last Edit: Jul 02 2013, 04:20 am by mer-curious »
Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02 2013, 06:22 am »

Hi Tux and thanks for this new version

The romcheck problem still exists and 36 roms are still reported with the wrong size of 1mb instead of 2mb
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02 2013, 08:09 am »

For the "romcheck problem", be sure to double check it before reporting.
Here is my final answer on the subject : the -romcheck output for all neogeo games in 0.62.1
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02 2013, 08:31 am »

Hi, Tux.

A very quick feedback for Raine 0.62.1:

load animations are not working for NGCD games.

No they are not, but I can believe that some animations are now gone. The problem is with pulstar : it's because of its loading animation that it resets after stage 1. So far the only work around I have found is to disable the loading animation if the cpu is not in supervisor mode. I quickly tested 1 or 2 other games after that and since the loading animations seemed ok, I kept the change. Just give me some names of the games affected...
I can always limit this check to pulstar only then...

I have the impression that the intro movies are slightly slower when running NGCD games, which makes them slightly more synchronized with the CDDA playing. Is it only my impression or have you made any changes (perhaps progress) in here?

Not really, considering the hard work done with you to synchronize the intro videos, they were probably perfectly in sync already ! No the animations I talked about in the announcement can't change the speed of the movies.

I tried KOF '97 for NeoGeo and the game is not playable. I receive a warning written in red from SNK in which I'm told that using pirated SNK boards is a crime and something like that:

The only way I can make the game playable is by setting the Universe Bios to console (AES) mode through the Universe Bios menu. Was it supposed to be like this? Is this related to the code being based on the NGCD hardware?

Ah ok, well I tested most of the game using the universe bios in aes mode, so I didn't even notice this !
I'll check the arcade mode then... !

Also, if you visit the video options the colors will get all messed up when you return to the game:

Not for me, I went just to the general video options, returned to the game : everything is normal...
I'll check with windows later.
EDIT : please give more details about this one too, did you just display the video options menu without touching anything or did you do anything specific ? And was it fullscreen or windowed ?

Finally about the KOF '97 game, the BGM is not working (haven't tried other NG games so far).

I was not sure about this one, sometimes there is some bg music, sometimes not. I guess I'll have to check it again...
EDIT : still not sure, after checking, sometimes you have the bg noises (crowd mostly), sometimes the music, but not both at the same time (which makes sense). It just seems that some stages have not got music.
If you are absolutely certain that a specific stage should have music, give details about it please...

I guess I've found a crash. Here's how to reproduce it: run Raine, load a NG game (in my case, I loaded KOF '97), then come to the GUI and load another game (I loaded KOF '96 here) and then enter this new game. Raine should crash here.

Good one, I could reproduce it without problem. Congratulations. It's not that I didn't test these, it's just that there were too many things to test, that's part of the reason why I decided to release it too, I needed tests from others. As usual, you are terrific on this subject !
EDIT : this one is now fixed (it was related to the bios).

And one last thing: can't the option to load a game be named like "Load game" instead of "Change game"? I guess it could become "Change game" after a game was loaded, but not before that, right?

Thank you again for you time and attention.

Lol ! Actually I never even thought about changing the 1st time.
For info this option has always been named like that, even in raine 0.01 probably (even though I never ran this one !). I agree it could be changed to "Change rom" or "Change arcade game" to make a difference from the neocd, but I'd like to keep the change anyway because I am used to type "C" on the keyboard to reach the option !
« Last Edit: Jul 02 2013, 09:57 am by Tux »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02 2013, 09:09 am »

Well even in arcade game I can't seem to get the protection screen in kof97...
It's at the start of the game ?
Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02 2013, 10:05 am »

Tux, are you able to explain why the previously mentioned 36 roms are still showing as 1mb in the dat file when they should be 2mb ?

I redownloaded the package of 0.62.1 but still get the same result. So in clrmamepro i had to untick filesize checking for them to be added
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02 2013, 10:11 am »

Maybe this rom utility does not actually use romcheck ? !!!
I don't use any rom utility so I don't really know...

Unprecise enough I would say... In this case I would go for -listinfo and after checking this option indeed reports a size of 1Mb, I guess I have the real cause now.
Well I'll wait for more details from mer-curious before making another release anyway...
Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02 2013, 10:20 am »

The utility has a built-in automatic dat option for raine and it uses -gameinfo. I hope that helps
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02 2013, 10:46 am »

Yes -gameinfo is a synonym for -listinfo, and I just added -li to type less for the same result !
Anyway it's fixed in git now, we'll just wait for mer-curious now !
Thanks ! :)
Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02 2013, 10:51 am »

Thanks Tux  8)
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02 2013, 11:33 am »

Moved the super long post about bugs to a separate topic...
mer-curious

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02 2013, 11:30 pm »

I can always limit this check to pulstar only then...
Yeah, maybe this would be better until you find the perfect way to enable loading animations for this game too.

Anyway, here's the list of games that don't show the loading animations anymore (the ones I've tested):

KOF '97 and '98
Last Blade 2
Samurai Spirits/Showdown 1 and 2

Quote from: Tux
Ah ok, well I tested most of the game using the universe bios in aes mode, so I didn't even notice this !
I'll check the arcade mode then... !
KOF '95 and '96 won't be playable in arcade mode either.

Not for me, I went just to the general video options, returned to the game : everything is normal...
I'll check with windows later.
EDIT : please give more details about this one too, did you just display the video options menu without touching anything or did you do anything specific ? And was it fullscreen or windowed ?
Yes, I just visited the menu and then left without changing anything. Also happens with Art of Fighting 1.

I was not sure about this one, sometimes there is some bg music, sometimes not. I guess I'll have to check it again...
EDIT : still not sure, after checking, sometimes you have the bg noises (crowd mostly), sometimes the music, but not both at the same time (which makes sense). It just seems that some stages have not got music.
If you are absolutely certain that a specific stage should have music, give details about it please...
No, there's really something wrong with the sound here. Just play the intro animation in any available KOF games and you'll see that the music won't play. Sometimes not even the "NEOGEO Max 330 Mega - Pro-Gear Spec" screen sample won't play, like in Art of Fighting 1.

EDIT : this one is now fixed (it was related to the bios).
Thanks!

Lol ! Actually I never even thought about changing the 1st time.
For info this option has always been named like that, even in raine 0.01 probably (even though I never ran this one !). I agree it could be changed to "Change rom" or "Change arcade game" to make a difference from the neocd, but I'd like to keep the change anyway because I am used to type "C" on the keyboard to reach the option !
Interesting no one ever complained, because the first time we load a rom we don't "change" it, we just load it for the first time.

But what about a name like "Change/Load ROM"? It would keep the behavior you're used to (by pressing "C" key) and be more meaningful, no?

Also, after we loaded a ROM, couldn't Raine take us to the game instead of requiring us to do it manually by pressing either "ESC" key or selecting the "Play game" option? I guess it would leave the emulator more intuitive if we were taken to the game-play immediately.

Thanks again for putting your precious time into fixing these issues.
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #13 on: Jul 02 2013, 11:51 pm »

EDIT: I have finally reproduced your protection problem easily in windows, it's related to the saveram, running one of these games without a "good saveram" makes this screen to appear. The funny thing is that I did nothing to prepare my saveram, just used the universe bios in multiple games in aes mode, and when I arrived to these games, it just worked. I'll need to understand what happens... !

EDIT2 : ok, so this thing is really stupid indeed. AFAIK, you have 2 ways to get out of it :
 - neogeo way : delete savedata/neogeo.saveram and run a harmless game, eventually just neogeo bios to create a blank new saveram. Then switch the universe bios to aes mode and load kof97 once (go until the 1st screen of the game then quit). Revert the universe bios to arcade : now you can run kof97, 96 or whatever in arcade mode without problem (I told you it was stupid !).
 - The direct way : once you have the red message about protection, quit raine, open savedata/neogeo.saveram in a hex editor, and replace the byte at offset 0x100 ($100) and set it to 0. End of the problem, from now on it will never talk to you about protection again !

Now I have absolutely no idea why it insists on setting this byte to 1 if you are unlucky enough to run 1st kof97 in arcade mode, in this case it will be set to 1, and remain to 1 after that.
Oh well... I'll try to find something better than that !

EDIT again : ok, it's fixed. This byte serves as a kind of detection to check if the board is an original board. And their way to test is surprising : when it first formats its saveram, it leaves the watchdog alone so that it resets the game. Since there is no watchdog in neocd, I didn't emulate the reset here. In this case, it writes to the saveram that it's a copy, and will never test again after that. That means that you'll have to remove your savedata/neogeo.saveram so that this fix will work. You actually see a 2nd reset now the 1st time you run a game like kof97 for the 1st time.

For your sound problem, it must be windows specific, I'll try that tomorrow too... (sound emulation is too bad when using wine... !)

For Change/Load game, well why not ?
« Last Edit: Jul 03 2013, 12:28 pm by Tux »
Tux
Administrator
Raine Master

« Reply #14 on: Jul 04 2013, 09:40 pm »

If you know of a precise moment in a game where the sound is not correct, I am interested, for me kof97 and kof96 seem correct (at least the intro + the gameplay demo). Test with 0.62.2...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

Raine WIP

Hosting

Links

Credits

GIT